FROM GARY GANSEMER, CYF SECTION CHAIR:
“CYF Sections Blows into the Windy City Today”
That may well be the headline in the Chicago Tribune on Monday August 20th unless:
• The Chicago Cubs and Sox both are in first place that day;
• President Obama announces that Sarah Palin is his next VP candidate;
• Mitt Romney makes a major policy in front of Obama’s national headquarters to create wind energy jobs in Chicago from all the political blowhards and ex-con Governors in the State;
• Both parties agree that only living people will vote on November 6;
• Chicago, Illinois, the US, and the world agree that the one true religion is… Methodism.
Well, we’re pretty sure none of the above will occur, but August 20 will be an important day for the United Methodist Association as our Children Youth and Family Section begins to meet in Chicago for our 2012 SUMMER WORKSHOP.
GREAT HOTEL AND LOCATION: Chicago is known for great hotels, and we will be at one of the best. Our gathering will be at the Hyatt Regency on Wacker Drive overlooking the Chicago River and Lake Michigan. It is just a couple of blocks to the Magnificent Mile, Millennium and Grant Parks, the Art Museum, Navy Pier, and access to the subway to take you to and from O’Hare Airport and all the great attractions in Chicago. We have negotiated a fantastic rate of only $139 per night with free internet. This is the same rate we had for Milwaukee last year, and is an unbelievable rate for the center of downtown Chicago. It is a must see for the entire family.
FLEXIBLE AND VIBRANT SCHEDULE:
• Monday August 20 – Arrive Chicago for Evening Reception and free time in Chicago
• Tuesday August 21 – Morning Workshops, Lunch, Afternoon Workshops, and boat tour (see below)
• Wednesday August 22 – Morning Workshops with noon adjournment
• To save costs and give you flexibility, lunch Wednesday will be on your own to experience Chicago with friends or family.
OTHER UMA GATHERINGS THAT WEEK IN CHICAGO
• The EAGLE Commission will meet from Sunday evening until Monday late afternoon
• The UMA Board of Directors will meet from Wednesday noon until Thursday late afternoon.
PROGRAM DESIGNED FOR TODAY’S CYF LEADERS: We are finalizing the work on several great programs including:
• Leadership Challenges: Our own CYF rookie and veteran CEO’s will tell you the lessons they learned on how to lead when you are new on the job, as well as when you have years of experience
• Avoiding Legal Pitfalls: There are menacing clouds on the horizon, and without proper preparation , your organization can be in trouble. Learn how to minimize the risk.
• Transformation in Turbulent Political Times: The story of how one CYF agency transformed their business model, measured their impact on clients, grew their margin and embraced the philosophy of UMA.
• Quality is the Key: Lessons from best practice Quality Improvement Programs in CYF agencies will be shared.
• Living the International Mission of the United Methodist Church: Member agencies will tell how taking their passion for service and impacted our sisters and brothers in Africa—AND strengthened their own organizations in unexpected ways.
TRUE UMA FELLOWSHIP: You will have the opportunity to connect with new and old friends in the CYF Section. We will allow plenty of time for individual and group fellowship at your own pace.
GREAT TIME FOR FAMILY: In the spirit of past CYF Summer Workshops there will be plenty of opportunities for your family to enjoy the exciting city of Chicago on their own and with you.
CHICAGO SKYLINE AND LAKE MICHIGAN SUNSET CRUISE: On Tuesday evening, join your colleagues on a scenic boat tour of the beautiful scenery that is Chicago at night, ending at the spectacular light how at Buckingham Fountain. Family members are also welcome! Tickets are only $28 per person
OPTIONAL ENTERTAINMENT: A your leisure you can take in:
• Chicago White Sox and New York Yankees Baseball – Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday Nights
• Second City Theater – home of many of the famous stars of Saturday Night Live
• Music and Drama – Several great theater venues are within walking distance or a short cab ride
• Great Museums – The Chicago Art Institute, the Field Museum of Natural History, and the Shedd Aquarium are close by, and the Museum of Science and Industry is just a short cab ride away.
• SHOPPING AND DINING – The options are too many to mention here.
See you in Chicago! To register, click here.